I looked up to see Dr. Duggar, my dentist from across the street, asking me questions.
"What is your name? What year is it? Who is the President?"
Those types of questions. Thankfully, I was able to answer them.
The kids came running out of the house and the neighbors had gathered around.
"Please take them inside, I don't want them to see me like this." I said to my neighbor.
The ambulance pulled into the driveway, took vitals, asked questions, put me on the stretcher, then loaded it into the back. Michael was able to ride with me in the back.
The doctor at the hospital was very concerned about my enzyme levels.
"You are bleeding internally. I have a helicopter coming from Vanderbilt," he said.
My heart sank. I was in shock.
"There is no way this is happening. I am home free. I should be totally fine. I didn't die in my driveway, I should be fine," I thought to myself.
They did an MRI and could tell that my liver was damaged, and the doctor was concerned that if I needed blood transfusions or surgery, that that would have to be done at Vanderbilt.
I remember them rolling me down the hallway. It was a Wednesday night, and Michael and I were usually at choir. They choir had heard about the accident, so the entire First Baptist Choir was standing at the end of the hallway! I thought I had died and gone to heaven! LOL!
My dear friend Melissa said to me, before they pushed me to the door that led outside and to the helicopter, "Just remember, Rachel, God is with you."
And I carried those words with me as I got onto the helicopter.
I can still see the 6 lights that were on the ceiling and the two nurses that sat on either side of me. They told me that everything that was needed to sustain life was on the helicopter. Then they asked me if I wanted any pain medicine. I said no way, that I didn't. I figured if I was going to go on to see Jesus, I wanted to know it! Then, I asked them about the odds of me dying. One of the nurses said that I had a 99.9% chance of living. Then, all I wanted to know was what the 0.1% chance that I wouldn't make it! I was a mess! I was so nervous and so worried. I just wanted to be home again with Michael and my kids.
This video will tell you the rest of the story. The amazing miracle was that I walked out of Vanderbilt the next day. Literally. With tears streaming down my face, I got into my in-law's car.
I had gone into a season of complaining before this accident. Complaining about dishes, laundry, all the stuff I had to do around the house. And about two or three days later, I was standing at my kitchen sink, washing dishes after breakfast.
"Wow, God! Thank you! This morning, I am so grateful to be standing here doing dishes. Because it means I am alive."